- •Non-invasive tests (NITs) are a valuable tool to identify patients with NAFLD and fibrosis who require specialist care.
- •Lower and upper cut-offs have important implications for the test performance and clinical decision.
- •Among 35 survey respondents, a total of 14 different NITs were used of which most were FIB-4 and transient elastography.
- •This study is the first to describe the considerable heterogeneity in the NIT cuts-offs used by clinicians in different settings.
- •Guidelines to standardise NIT cut-offs are needed to improve consistency in risk-stratification in NAFLD.
Background & Aims
Abbreviations:NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease), NFS (NAFLD Fibrosis Score), NIT (non-invasive test)
Materials and methods
Conflict of interest statement
Financial support statement
Data availability statement
Appendix A. Supplementary data
- Screening for liver fibrosis in the general population: a call for action.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 1: 256-260
- Noninvasive assessment of fibrosis among patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease [NAFLD].Metabol Open. 2022; 13100158
- Impact of non-invasive biomarkers on hepatology practice: Past, present and future.J Hepatol. 2022; 76: 1362-1378
- Utility and appropriateness of the fatty liver inhibition of progression (FLIP) algorithm and steatosis, activity, and fibrosis (SAF) score in the evaluation of biopsies of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Hepatology. 2014; 60: 565-575
- Design and validation of a histological scoring system for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Hepatology. 2005; 41: 1313-1321
- Advances in non-invasive assessment of hepatic fibrosis.Gut. 2020; 69: 1343-1352
- Non-invasive tests for liver fibrosis in NAFLD: Creating pathways between primary healthcare and liver clinics.Liver Int. 2020; 40: 77-81
- Defining comprehensive models of care for NAFLD.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 18: 717-729
- Advancing the global public health agenda for NAFLD: a consensus statement.Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2022; 19: 60-78
- Age as a Confounding Factor for the Accurate Non-Invasive Diagnosis of Advanced NAFLD Fibrosis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2017; 112: 740-751
- A Sequential Algorithm Combining ADAPT and Liver Stiffness Can Stage Metabolic-Associated Fatty Liver Disease in Hospital-Based and Primary Care Patients.Am J Gastroenterol. 2021; 116: 984-993
- Prospective evaluation of a primary care referral pathway for patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.J Hepatol. 2019; 71: 371-378
- Diagnostic accuracy of non-invasive tests for advanced fibrosis in patients with NAFLD: an individual patient data meta-analysis.Gut. 2022; 71: 1006-1019
- EASL Clinical Practice Guidelines on non-invasive tests for evaluation of liver disease severity and prognosis - 2021 update.J Hepatol. 2021; 75: 659-689
- The diagnosis and management of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: Practice guidance from the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.Hepatology. 2018; 67: 328-357
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and the interface between primary and secondary care.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018; 3: 509-517
- Management of NAFLD in primary care settings.Liver Int. 2022; 00: 1-13
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy