- •Pi∗Z allele is significantly associated with liver-related events in patients with ACLD.
- •This finding extends to patients harbouring the Pi∗MZ genotype.
- •Genotyping for the Pi∗Z allele might improve prognostication in patients with ACLD.
- •Therapies targeting accumulation of abnormal AAT should be assessed in Pi∗Z carriers with ACLD.
Background & Aims
Abbreviations:AAT (Alpha-1 antitrypsin), AATD (Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency), ACLD (Advanced chronic liver disease), CTP (Child-turcotte-pugh score), ER (Endoplasmic reticulum), GWAS (Genome wide association studies), HCC (Hepatocellular carcinoma), (a[S])HR ((Adjusted [subdistribution]) hazard ratio), HVPG (Hepatic venous pressure gradient), NAFLD (Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease), SERPINA1 (Serpin family a member 1), UNOS MELD (2016) (United network for organ sharing model for end-stage liver disease)
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cirrhosis associated with alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency: a previously unrecognized inherited disorder.J Lab Clin Med. 1969; 73: 934-939
- Risk of cirrhosis and primary liver cancer in alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency.N Engl J Med. 1986; 314: 736-739
- Update on alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency: new therapies.J Hepatol. 2016; 65: 413-424
- Is heterozygosity for the alpha-1 antitrypsin risk allele Pi∗MZ a disease modifier or genetic risk factor?.Gastroenterology. 2020; 159: 433-434
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency: a re-surfacing adult liver disorder.J Hepatol. 2021;
- Utility of transient elastography for the screening of liver disease in patients with alpha1-antitrypsin deficiency.J Clin Med. 2021; 10
- Liver phenotypes of European adults heterozygous or homozygous for Pi∗Z variant of AAT (Pi∗MZ vs Pi∗ZZ genotype) and noncarriers.Gastroenterology. 2020; 159: 534-548.e11
- Hepatobiliary phenotypes of adults with alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency.Gut. 2022; 71: 415-423
- The Pi∗MZ allele in alpha-1 antitrypsin increases liver-related outcomes in a population-based study.Gastroenterology. 2021; 160: 1874-1875
- PNPLA3 and SERPINA1 variants are associated with severity of fatty liver disease at first referral to a tertiary center.J Pers Med. 2021; 11
- Heterozygosity for the alpha-1-antitrypsin Z allele in cirrhosis is associated with more advanced disease.Liver Transpl. 2018; 24: 744-751
- Measurement of the hepatic venous pressure gradient and transjugular liver biopsy.JoVE. 2020; : e58819
- Evaluation of a new balloon occlusion catheter specifically designed for measurement of hepatic venous pressure gradient.Liver Int: official J Int Assoc Study Liver. 2015; 35: 2115-2120
- Updated guidance on the reporting of race and ethnicity in medical and science journals.Jama. 2021; 326: 621-627
- Baveno VII - renewing consensus in portal hypertension.J Hepatol. 2022; 76: 959-974
- A proportional hazards model for the subdistribution of a competing risk.J Am Stat Assoc. 1999; 94: 496-509
- Impact of patatin-like phospholipase domain containing 3 rs738409 G/G genotype on hepatic decompensation and mortality in patients with portal hypertension.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2018; 48: 451-459
- Alpha(1)-Antitrypsin deficiency.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 1443-1455
- Heterozygous carriage of the alpha1-antitrypsin Pi∗Z variant increases the risk to develop liver cirrhosis.Gut. 2019; 68: 1099-1107
- Clinical and histologic features of adults with alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency in a non-cirrhotic cohort.J Hepatol. 2018; 69: 1357-1364
- Hepatic decompensation is accelerated in patients with cirrhosis and alpha-1 antitrypsin Pi∗MZ genotype.JHEP Rep. 2022; 4: 100483
- Prevention of first decompensation in advanced chronic liver disease.Clin Liver Dis. 2021; 25: 291-310
- LP10: Aro-Aat reduces Z-AAT protein in PiZZ patients and leads to improvements in clinically relevant liver biomarkers.Hepatology. 2021; 74
- Fazirsiran for liver disease associated with alpha(1)-antitrypsin deficiency.N Engl J Med. 2022;
- NorUDCA promotes degradation of α1-antitrypsin mutant Z protein by inducing autophagy through AMPK/ULK1 pathway.PLoS One. 2018; 13: e0200897
- Impact of HSD17B13 rs72613567 genotype on hepatic decompensation and mortality in patients with portal hypertension.Liver Int. 2020; 40: 393-404
Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy